The Section Eight program was enacted as part of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974. The Rockford Housing Authority administers its Section Eight program in the most flexible manner consistent with HUD regulations. The following programs are administered by the Rockford Housing Authority under the Section Eight subsidy program:
- Housing Choice Voucher Programs
- Moderate Rehabilitation Program
- Project Based Section Eight
These programs enable participants to receive a subsidy while leasing from landlords in the private market.
To qualify, an applicant must:
- Meet the definition of “family”
- Meet HUD’s income guidelines
- Furnish Social Security numbers
- Furnish evidence of citizenship/eligible immigrant status
The Rockford Housing Authority administers over a thousand Housing Choice Vouchers. In addition, the Authority also administers 330 Moderate Rehabilitation units, including both family and elderly/handicapped apartments. Project-based units are predominantly designed for people with special needs.
HCV Brochure downloads
- HCV Program Basics
- HVC Rental Assistance
- HCV Partnerships
- Family Obligations to the Owner
- FAQ About HQS
Applicants are issued Section Eight assistance in chronological order by date and time of application, unless the applicant qualifies for a local preference. Applicants qualifying for one or more local preferences are assigned points which move them ahead of applicants on the waiting list who do not qualify for any of the established preferences.
Local preferences are assigned to applicant families who qualify as follows:
- Families with at least one adult who is employed and has been employed for three months.
- Families with at least one adult who is 62 or older or a family which consists of at least one adult who has a disability.
- Families with at least one adult who is “near elderly” which is defined as aged 50 to 61.
- Families from contiguous counties which include Winnebago, Boone, Ogle, Stephenson, and Rock counties. (This preference does not apply to persons applying through the Family Unification Program).
*The following are Project Based Voucher (PBV) properties that take applications directly. All other PBV property applications are taken at our main office.
The Housing choice voucher (section 8) waitlist is currently closed. Those interested in subsidized housing are encouraged to complete an application for our Project Based Voucher (PBV), Moderate Rehabilitation, or Public Housing program.