FAQ – Public Housing

How do I apply to the Public Housing program?

The Public Housing Applications  section explains the steps you should take to apply to the Rockford Housing Authority Low Income Public Housing program.


Where are Low Income Public Housing buildings and communities located?

Buildings and communities are located throughout Rockford. The RHA Properties section includes a listing of these properties, along with information about each, including the types of apartments offered, parking options, nearby bus routes, and the surrounding neighborhood.


Which waiting list should I choose?

To apply for the Low Income Public Housing program, you must choose one or two public housing buildings or communities. You will then be added to those waiting lists. Please note that you may not be offered the exact unit size you prefer. All eligible applicants will be placed on the waiting list and scheduled for an intake interview.


May I change my waiting list choices later?

Yes, you may switch waiting lists. If you switch, your date of application will change to the date you made the switch.


How long does it take to get housing?

The wait for housing varies, depending on the size of your family and the length of the waiting list at the buildings you have selected. Even with a waiting list preference, your wait could exceed one year.


Are pets allowed in Low Income Public Housing buildings?

Small dogs, cats, birds and fish are allowed in Low Income Public Housing buildings; subject to the RHA pet policy.


What if I have special needs?

Please tell us if you need assistance of any kind to access our services, and let us know if you need special features in your housing. (For example, we can often provide large print materials, wheelchair accessibility, customized interviews, and housing in specific locations.) If you need an interpreter or a translator, tell us, and we will provide one for you. We will make every effort to meet your needs.


How do I change my address with Rockford Housing Authority?

You must tell Rockford Housing Authority in person or in writing of any change in your address. To submit a change of address in person, fill out a change of address form at our Central Office:

Rockford Housing Authority

ATTN: Centralized Applications Processor

223 S. Winnebago Street

Rockford, IL 61102

Otherwise, write a brief letter that includes your name, Social Security Number, previous address, and new address and mail it to our Housing Service Center at the address above. Please note that changing your address with the United States Postal Service does not change your address with Rockford Housing Authority. You must update us separately.


May I add or remove others from my application?

You may add or remove people from your application by submitting the change in writing to our Centralized Applications Processor at the address listed above. Please include your name and Social Security Number and the information to be changed.

Adding or removing people may affect your eligibility for some units. If the change affects your eligibility for a unit of a certain size (as measured by the number of bedrooms), you will be moved to the waiting list for the correct unit size. Your date of application stays the same.


How do I cancel my application?

You may cancel your application at any time by writing to our Centralized Applications Processor at the address listed above. When cancelling your pre-application, please include your name and Social Security Number and the program(s) for which you applied.


Can Rockford Housing Authority deny assistance?

Yes. Even if you can prove that you need housing, Rockford Housing Authority is required by federal law and regulations to refuse assistance if you do not qualify.


Does Rockford Housing Authority verify personal information?

Yes. At various stages of the application process, Rockford Housing Authority may verify all sources of your income, your credit records, your criminal history and your residential history. Rockford Housing Authority will only share your information with HUD and Tax Credit/Partners and as permitted by law in the federal housing program.